Thank You for Your Time! Course Summary Inside

We have reached the end of this course. I am very thankful for you taking time and reading everything I had to say.

I want to summarize everything that we've talked about up to this point, also to point you in the right direction so you can continue your journey of recovery.

Summary

In our course, we've talked about:

· Chemical Changes that Take Place Inside an Addict's Mind

· The Addictive Cycle and Point of No Return

· Triune Brain Model and How it Affects Our Decision Making

· A Small Thing that You Can Do Every Day to Strengthen Your Thinking Brain (Journaling, Delaying Gratification, Delaying Your Actions, and Breathing)

· Exposure and Response Prevention Technique

· Sexual Recovery Plan

· A Strategy of Using as Many Different Techniques as You Can at the Same Time to Break Free

· A-B-C-D-E Model (Activating Event, Belief, Consequence, Debate, Exercise)

· Some of the Most Common Beliefs that Kept me Trapped

· Mini-ERP and How to Deal with Small Triggers

· Understanding Why Some Days are more Triggering than Others

· An Exercise to Help us Create a Vision for the Rest of Our Lives

· Introduction to 12 Steps Groups

· "God's Will" or "Our Stronger Self" Concept

· Filtering and Accountability Software

· How Expectations Affect Our Quality of Life

What to Do Next?

Below, I am going to outline some of my suggestions to help you maintain your recovery.

Establish a Daily Routine

This could include all of the things that we've talked about before

· Healthy Eating

· Proper Hydration

· Proper Rest

· Exercising

· Meditation

· Journaling

· Making Phone calls to Friends in Recovery

· Going to Religious or Spiritual Groups

· Anything Else You Can Think of that is Healthy

I would like to recommend one book that is a great help in my Daily Practice. It’s called Answers in the Heart. It has short passages for every day of the year, and it helps me to get my brain in the right mindset every morning.

Social Support

Get actively involved in a social group. I would highly recommend a 12 steps program, but if it doesn't work for you there is plenty of other options that you can turn to. It could be a religious group, Toastmasters group, a men's or women's club. All of this will work, but the groups have to meet at least once a week, and there has to be a lot of new people around you.

Use this group to practice your social skills. I know you probably don't feel like doing it, but that is exactly why you should do it! True changes only happen when we get out of our comfort zone.

My sponsor in 12 steps asked me to commit to going to at least 3 meetings a week, and calling 2 people every day. When I asked him how long I had to do it for, he said until you want to do it.

My sponsor was right, when I got over the social anxiety and gained experience of interacting with others, social groups became fun.

Reading

Reading really is the key. We live in a world where information is greatly available. If you have a problem with anything, chances are somebody already had a similar problem, figured it out, and wrote a book about it.

And I don't just mean books related to addiction.

Now that you are no longer completely blinded by your addiction, you will begin to notice other problems popping up in your life, that you previously were too busy to pay attention to.

Instead of trying to figure them out yourself, try to get a few good books on the subject, and read them first. Chances are it will make your life a lot easier.

I am going to recommend one book to you that I think will be very beneficial.

The Practicing Mind

I have talked about this book but barely scratched the surface. I love this book, and it was very helpful for me. Do not get the audio book though. This book was meant to be read not listened.

Other Recovery Programs

1. Recovery Nation

This is a free web-based program. It was created by a sex addict in recovery who already passed away, but the site is maintained by his followers. It is a good recovery spot on the Internet.

2. Candeo Can

This program costs $47 per month, and it covers a lot of the similar material already enclosed in this course. But it does so in video lectures, going in a little bit more detail, and the program is created by real doctors. If you can afford the payment, I would recommend it as a good way to reinforce some of the basics already learned in this course.

3. 12 Steps Groups

I know I already mentioned it in the social groups section, but 12 steps also have a program of recovery aspect to it. It is free and it is in person. You get to choose a sponsor who has been sober for a very long time. And it is very insightful. It is a 2 in 1 deal (social and recovery), and I highly recommend it.

That is it :) This is the end of the course.

Thank you so much for your time! If you want to stay updated, make sure to sign up for my email list.

Meanwhile, I wish you all of the best in your new life!

Your friend in recovery,

Alex

Previous | Home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for everything you've taught us!

Post a Comment