I've Been Masturbation Free For 1 Year

I have masturbated compulsively 2-4 times a day since I was 11 years old and through the most of my adult life. Since I was a little child I came to believe that it was just a physical need and that I had no ways of controlling it. I have tried to stop before, but I did not understand my "strong sexual drive" fueled by my choices of daily activities and therefore was not able to control my masturbation.

A year ago I finally had enough as I described in my previous post 7 Steps to Recovery:
That is when I had enough. I realized that I really had to do something differently if I wanted to stop my behaviors. I wrote out a list of all the things that I could do to feed my right wolf.

My list included monitoring my emotions, eating healthy, drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, doing daily cardio exercise, meditation, and Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) techniques that I’ve learned from the book titled “Kill the Craving”. I think learning ERP techniques and following my list as daily practice was my second major break through.

My approach of feeding the right wolf worked and I was able to stay sober for a month.

It has been a year now that I have stayed free. This is the best thing that ever happened to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Alex for sharing your success and how you went about achieving it.
Your story gives me hope that someday with God's grace, I can also overcome my own addiction.

Post a Comment